USING YOUR RETAINER
Congratulations !!! You have made it through treatment and now you have a beautiful smile. Consistent retainer wear is the only way to stop your teeth from moving back to their original positions. Please follow these directions to take care of your great new smile:
- We offer the new, thin, clear retainers for most finished smiles.
- Wear your retainers every evening and at night consistently until Dr. Scramstad instructs otherwise (usually for two years after completion).
- Take your retainers out when eating, and always put retainers in their case. (DON”T wrap them in a napkin as most appliances are lost in school lunch rooms or restaurants)
- Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odours. Polident FreshCleanse Foam works well in place of toothpaste, and Polident Retainer Tablets help break up any stubborn deposits. No product used will take the place of brushing.
- When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Be careful because pets love to eat them!
- For a day or two, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to them faster.
- Retainers are fragile and breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken call us asap.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or your retainers need adjusting, call us. Please do not try to adjust them yourself.
- Always bring your retainers to all of your check-up appointments.
- Retainer replacement is expensive; they are fragile, but with proper care they will last for years!
- Remove retainers when swimming and contact sports. Wear a mouthguard if your activity calls for it.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.
- Bonded wire retainers are sometimes used on the lower teeth. Let us know if one of the adhesive pieces becomes detached.