We know keeping the kids entertained during the winter can be a challenge but the cold weather doesn’t mean being stuck at home. At our Kelowna orthodontic practice, we get the scoop on all of the fun things to do in the Okanagan Valley from our patients and their families. Being a father himself, Dr. James Scramstad has even more insight into local activities ideal for kids and parents alike. Today, we’re sharing! We’ve rounded up the best fun things to do in Kelowna with kids and families this winter.
- Go Ice Skating at Stuart Park – 1430 Water Street, Kelowna, BC – One of our favorite family-friendly things to do in Kelowna in the winter is ice skating at the Stuart Park rink. Every year, the popular rink opens on December 1 and you can skate your heart out through late February. The rink is open daily from 6am to 11pm, except for during scheduled maintenance or unsafe weather conditions. No skates? No problem! You can rent skates, helmets and EZ bars, weather permitting, every day from 11am to 8pm, except for Christmas Day. Rentals are available through mobile operator Bladez Skate Rental on Water Street. If it’s super cold out and you’re not sure if rentals will be available, you can call ahead and check at 250-215-4458.
- Tackle the Hills on a Sled or Toboggan – Various Locations – There’s no shortage of great hills for tobogganing or sledding in Kelowna. KelownaNow has a comprehensive list of the best hills. Grab the kids, the sleds and a thermos of hot chocolate and check them out.
- Go for a Dip at the H2O Adventure + Fitness Center – 4075 Gordon Drive, Kelowna, BC – H20 Adventure and Fitness Center, operated by the YMCA, has a ton of Kelowna kids’ activities and events for the family. Its indoor pool and waterpark is perfect for making a splash year-round. There’s a surf simulator, waterslides, a kids’ play area and splash park, a river run, diving boards, lap lanes and more. Get a membership or you can do drop-ins if you’d prefer. You can see the schedule here.
- Ski, Snowshoe or Tube at a Local Ski Resort – Various Locations – No list of things to do in the Okanagan Valley is complete without a mention of our awesome ski resorts. We love Big White Ski Resort, SilverStar Mountain Resort and Sun Peaks Resort. Each resort offers equipment rentals and lessons for kids, teens and adults. Of course, downhill skiing and snowboarding are the most popular activities but you can also go snowshoeing, tubing, cross-country skiing or even fat biking (mountain biking with fat tires on the snow).
- Engage in Some Friendly Competition at McCurdy Bowling Centre – 124-948 McCurdy Road, Kelowna, BC – When the weather is just too cold, warm up at McCurdy Bowling Centre. They offer five- and 10-pin bowling for bowlers of all ages and skill levels. Go during the day or wait until they turn the lights down for Cosmic Bowl. While McCurdy is very family-friendly, you will find Freddy’s Brewpub on site serving up craft beer to the adults.
- Bask in the Beauty of a Wintry Scenic Trail Ride on Horseback – Kelowna Stables at Myra Canyon Ranch, 4675 June Springs Road, Kelowna, BC – Horseback riding is another of the best things to do in Kelowna, BC with kids and teens. Myra Canyon Ranch offers trail rides year-round for ages eight and up. Put on your warm clothes and enjoy the breathtaking winter scenery perched on top of a horse. Riders from beginner to advanced can enjoy the trail network of the Myra Bellevue Provincial Park.
- Enjoy Family Story Time at the Library – Kelowna Downtown Library, 1380 Ellis Street, Kelowna, BC – The Downtown Kelowna branch of the Okanagan Regional Library has fun story times that will help encourage a love of reading in the kiddos. Pyjama Family Story Time is held in the evenings, while regular Family Story Time is held during the day. Though the events are geared towards children ages three through six and their caregivers, the whole family can join. The drop-in programs are free. Listen to books while kids sing, dance and rhyme. Family Story Time is held on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 11 to 11:45am. Up next for Pyjama Family Story Time: Tuesday, January 14 from 6:30 to 7pm. See the full schedule here.
There you have it: our guide to fun things to do in Kelowna this winter! We hope you take full advantage of all the area has to offer. If getting a straighter smile is also on your agenda, schedule a consultation at Align Ortho today.