A: No! While we always welcome and appreciate referrals from our fellow dental professionals, however, you’re not required to have a referral before you visit us. You can simply schedule an appointment online or by calling us at 250-762-2824. Throughout your treatment, we do recommend that you continue to see your dentist for exams and cleanings to ensure your smile stays in tip-top shape!
A: It’s recommended that little ones have an evaluation at the first sign of an orthodontic problem or no later than the age of seven. If treatment isn’t necessary, Dr. Scramstad will monitor their growth and development and let you know the ideal time to start treatment. If we do spot any red flags and early orthodontic treatment is indicated, it can greatly reduce the time your child spends in braces or Invisalign® Teen down the road.
A: We’ll take you back to the treatment area and chat with you about how things are going and answer any questions you have. We’ll take a look at your mouth and appliance and ensure your treatment is on track. If you’re wearing braces, we’ll also perform any necessary adjustments.
A: Getting a functional bite and straight teeth is excellent for your oral and overall health, as well as your appearance, confidence and quality of life. Here are some of the biggest benefits of straightening your teeth:
- Straight teeth are easier to brush and floss, which reduces your risk of tooth decay and periodontal disease.
- When teeth are in their correct positions, it wards off uneven wear.
- Aligning the jaws may help alleviate temporomandibular joint (TMJ) pain, teeth grinding, headaches and migraines.
- A functional bite enables you to chew and speak properly.
- By creating the ideal spacing of the teeth and jaws, it can prevent bone loss.
- By creating facial symmetry, we can improve your appearance.
- Having a smile you love will give you a boost in confidence that carries over into all areas of your life!
A: Yes. In fact, in certain cases, it’s actually the preferable time to kick off treatment. Sometimes, early intervention with Phase 1 appliances while your child still has primary teeth will help your child avoid the need for surgery, complicated treatment or the extraction of permanent teeth when they’re a teenager or adult.
A: Every situation is unique, however, usually, thanks to advances in diagnostics and techniques, we can get great results without extractions.
A: A true orthodontic emergency is extremely rare. Yet, if you feel pain or discomfort from your appliance, feel free to give us a call and we’ll get you in as soon as possible for an appointment. Dr. Scramstad’s emergency number is on our answering machine if it’s outside of office hours and you need to reach him. Also, be sure to check out our tips for handling problems yourself until you’re able to come see us.