We are committed to protecting the privacy of our patient’s personal information and to utilizing all personal information in a responsible and professional manner. This document summarizes some of the personal information we collect, use and disclose. In addition to the circumstances described in this form, we also collect, use and disclose personal information when required by law.
We collect information from our patients such as names, home address, work addresses, home phone number, work phone number, and e-mail addresses.(Collectively referred to as Contact Information) This information is used for the following purposes:
- To update patient files
- To invoice patients for services, to process credit card payments or to collect unpaid accounts
- To send reminders to patients concerning the need for further orthodontic treatment
Contact information is disclosed to third-party health benefit providers and insurance companies where the patient has submitted a claim for reimbursement of the cost of dental treatment.
Financial information may be collected in order to make arrangements for payment of dental services.
We collect information from our patients about health history, their family health history, physical condition, and dental treatments.(Collectively referred to as Medical Information) Medical information is used for the purpose of diagnosing dental conditions and providing orthodontic treatment.
Patient’s Medical Information is disclosed:
- To third-party health benefit providers and insurance companies where the patient has submitted a claim for reimbursement of the cost of orthodontic treatment
- To dentists and dental specialists, where we are seeking a second opinion and the patient has consented to us obtaining a second opinion
- To other dentists and dental specialists if the patient, with consent, has been referred by us to the other dentist or dental specialist for treatment
- To other dentists and dental specialists where those dentists have asked us, with consent of the patient to provide a second opinion
- To other health care professionals, such as physicians, if the patient, with their consent, has been referred by us to the other health care professional for either a second opinion or treatment
If we are ever considering selling all or part of our dental practice, qualified potential purchasers may be granted access as part of the due diligence process to patient information in order to verify information important to the potential sale. If this occurs, we will take steps to ensure that the prospective purchaser safeguards all personal information.
Dentists are regulated by the College of Dental Surgeons of British Columbia, which may inspect our records and interview our staff as part of its regulatory activities in the public interest.